<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://thehaasmachine.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
the haas machine: Peanut Butter Chocolate Pudding with Whipped Cream

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Peanut Butter Chocolate Pudding with Whipped Cream

I know, I know. I've been trying to post mostly anti-oven cooking recipes lately, but really, who could pass up this delicacy? When I first saw this recipe on Joy the Baker's page, I just knew it was go-time. You know how there's some recipes that you see & you're like, "Ahh that looks nice. I should maybe make that some time. Maybe." & then there are others like, "I'm going to the store to get the ingredients for this recipe right now & I might get a speeding ticket on the way & it will so be worth it." Yep, this was one of those urgent desserts that I just haaaad to make.
I've always had a rocky relationship with pudding. I'll never forget the time that my family was eating at a buffet for dinner & my younger brother pounded a mouthful of whipped butter, thinking it was pudding. We still talk about that. That was actually kind of funny. But my aversions to pudding are a bit more serious.  First of all, has anyone ever had pudding from a tin can? Am I the only one? For some reason, when I think of chocolate pudding, I am brought back to those huge tin cans full of pudding (think school cafeteria or daycare). I shudder to think of it, to this day.

I also had a horrific chocolate pudding incident while I was babysitting one of my cousins. I won't go into details because then you will for sure never make this pudding (& you sooo should!), but let's just say pudding should always, always, always be cold & definitely not room temperature, or heaven forbid body temperature (if you want the full story, by all means let me know). So between my tin can experiences & this one vague babysitting experience, chocolate pudding hasn't really been on my "to eat" list. Not to mention all the crazy ingredients in most already made pudding or instant pudding mixes. Yuck.
This pudding was celebration pudding at its best! I figured that since it was on Joy's page, it had to be delish & I was feeling especially adventurous. We were relaxing after a busy, busy weekend & while John was prepping our steak tacos with homemade pico, I was whipping us a batch of this bad boy. Have you ever made pudding from scratch before? It's really quite simple & super satisfying. I don't know, I just get a kick out of making things myself, knowing what all the ingredients are & altering them to my liking.

The pudding is a cinch to make, only requires just a smattering of ingredients & ohmygoodness, the flavor! I kind of want to kiss whoever decided that peanut butter & chocolate should be paired together. The real whipping cream on the top is kind of a deal sealer, too. Please don't offend me (or anyone you're serving it to) by using cool whip. Please, just don't. Again, whipping your own is hardly work at all (thank you Kitchen Aid) & it is so, so, soooooooo much better.

If I ever have to gain a whole bunch of weight, this is how I will do it. If I ever want to impress someone, this is how I will do it. And if I ever ever celebrate anything with food again (it's bound to happen), this is how I will do it.

Eat your hearts out, people. And you're welcome for introducing you to your new love.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Pudding with Whipped Cream
Ingredients (for the peanut butter pudding)
1/3 cup demerara sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup creamy all-natural peanut butter
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Ingredients (for the chocolate pudding)
1/3 cup demerara sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
4 ounces dark chocolate chips
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Ingredients (for the whipped cream)
1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon agave
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Directions
First focus on making the peanut butter pudding. In a large saucepan whisk together the demerara, cornstarch, & salt (just to combine). If it's lumpy, that's totally OK. Add the milk & heavy cream & whisk. Turn the stove on to medium heat & bring the mixture to a simmer, whisking occasionally. Be sure to whisk in the rounded corners of the pan so that pudding doesn’t burn.

When the pudding comes to a simmer, whisk constantly for 1 minute. The mixture should thicken but still remain a bit loose. Remove from the heat & add the peanut butter & vanilla extract, & quickly whisk. The pudding will thicken substantially. Divide the warm pudding between six glasses & store uncovered in the fridge while you make the chocolate pudding.

To make the chocolate pudding, in a new large (or completely clean & dry the one you just used) saucepan, whisk together the demerara, cornstarch, cocoa powder, & salt (just to combine). If it's lumpy, that's totally OK. Add the milk & heavy cream & whisk. Turn the stove on to medium heat & bring the mixture to a simmer, whisking occasionally. Be sure to whisk in the rounded corners of the pan so that pudding doesn’t burn.

When the pudding comes to a simmer, whisk constantly for 1 minute. The mixture should thicken but still remain a bit loose. Remove from the heat & add the chocolate chips & vanilla extract. Stir until the chocolate is melted & pudding is thickened.

Spoon the pudding atop the peanut butter pudding. Cover each pudding cup with plastic wrap & chill for at least 2 hours before serving.

When ready to serve, whip heavy cream, agave, & vanilla extract into soft peaks. Top each pudding with whipped cream

Recipe adapted from Joy the Baker

And now for a few "reaction pictures"...
I think they liked it!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At July 9, 2013 at 7:58 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Your pictures are getting so much better! I'm definitely going to need that babysitting story. I don't care for pudding from a texture standpoint but you've intrigued me that maybe I need to try it homemade!

 
At July 9, 2013 at 9:10 AM , Blogger Gillian from The Haas Machine said...

Ha ha, I will have to personally email you that story to save all of the others from, well the horror!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home